Welcome from the President of the IALP
As President of the International Association of Logopedics and Phoniatrics (IALP), it is my pleasure to welcome you to the website of the 32nd World Congress of the IALP.
Why should you go to an international conference?
Amongst the many reasons are:
- Keeping informed
- Meeting individuals from different countries in the same area of work as you– but possibly doing things differently.
- Learning more about your topic area
- Discussing and debating issues of importance
- Influencing colleagues
- Making new friends
- Developing clinical and research skills
- Reviewing your own practice
At each IALP Congress that I have attended I have been overwhelmed by the opportunities to learn from colleagues working in similar areas but in different systems. I come away refreshed and invigorated and feel that attendance has improved my clinical and research practice. They are sociable and welcoming events where I have met individuals who have become lifelong colleagues and friends.
2024 sounds as if it’s a long way off! But it will come quickly!
With the overall theme of Looking Forward you will not be surprised to see that the following 3 themes will permeate the programme:
- Intervention with Multilingual Children – Evidence Based Practice
- Technological Developments to Enhance Assessment and Treatment
- Improving Quality of Service Provision
I suggest that you put this in your forward diary– think about whether you are going to submit an abstract and consider how you can get financial support to attend.
Why not think of adding on a week or 2 so that you can have a holiday while you are in New Zealand!
I look forward to seeing you there!
Pam Enderby OBE, PhD, DSc, MSc, FRCSLT President IALP